How to Participate in this Environmental Filament Study
As this is a Scientific Study, we have established certain Guidelines and Procedures, listed below, to insure rigorous scientific validity of the samples.
GUIDELINES FOR THE COLLECTION OF FILAMENT SAMPLES
1) The Institute will only accept environmental samples. PLEASE DO NOT send any biological samples. Any samples containing human or animal tissue can not be accepted!
2) Wear a clean pair of nitrile or non-powdered latex disposable examination gloves throughout the collection process. Handling the sample with bare hands or powdered gloves can contaminate the sample. It is also good practice to wear protective gloves when handling any unknown materials. These gloves are available in all drug stores.
3) Do not use any adhesive surfaces for collection or transportation of the sample. It is impossible to separate the sample from adhesive surfaces. Adhesives attached to the sample are also a contaminant.
4) If a tool is used in the sampling process, use a clean dry plastic, glass, or metal instrument. Prior to use, it is suggested that any instrument not removed from a sterile packaging be cleaned with 91% isopropyl or isobutyl alcohol and allowed to air dry. This alcohol is available at all drug stores. Once cleaned, do not place the instrument down on any surface prior to use. Make sure that the instrument is free of any debris, (lint, etc.), prior to use.
5) Sample containers: Samples should be placed in a sealable hard plastic or glass container. All sample containers must be new and not previously opened. Do not open the container until just before the sample is to be placed within it. Close and seal the container soon after introducing the sample. Leaving the container open for any period of time will allow contaminants in the air to enter the container.
6) The sample should be placed in the sample container directly from the sample site. Do not place the sample on any surface prior to placing it into the sample container.
7) Once the sample is placed in the container and sealed, do not open the container again.
8) Label the container using the following format.
Please print and insure that it is legible.
As an example; if a sample is taken from an apple tree in Sante Fe, New Mexico on November 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm the label will read as follows.
Source: Apple Tree Sample
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Zip Code: 87502
(Please use this exact format to aid us in our inventory process.)